You are here
Work With Us
Venue Technical Manager
The Street, Canberra’s award-winning home of live storytelling and performance in Canberra, Ngunnawal Country, seeks a Venue Technical Manager. The role requires excellent attention to detail combined with a proactive attitude. If you have demonstrated technical experience in a performing arts centre, theatre, or live performance environment we welcome your application.
The Street Theatre is our dedicated venue where we commission, develop, produce and present live performance work that talks to who we are and the world around us. The Street comprises two theatres and one development/rehearsal space. Our building also accommodates an office, box office and café bar.
The Venue Technical Manager is a key part of The Street team overseeing core operations processes. The role supports The Street’s day to day operation by ensuring our infrastructure and facilities are safe, well maintained and fit for purpose together with the effective management of all technical operations including equipment, staff and contractors. The role works with ACT Government agencies as well as production managers, stage managers and creative teams to achieve their artistic vision and production values to the highest possible standards within the parameters set by the Company.
CAPABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Relevant training and/or tertiary/professional qualification, demonstrated theatre technical experience, or an equivalent combination of both.
- Minimum of five years relevant industry experience.
- Medium-High level of competency and experience in; lighting, AV, sound, stage operations, construction, rigging and production.
- Working knowledge of Workplace Health and Safety legislation and procedures that relate to the theatre and entertainment industries with proven experience of implementing these in a sympathetic manner.
- Proven ability to lead teams and manage people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work co-operatively as part of a small busy team, but able to work independently.
- A practical problem solver with a can-do attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a multi-project environment with absolute attention to detail
- Strong planning, scheduling, and time management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other software packages incl. digital technologies and audio-visual applications, such as AutoCAD, QLAB, and ETC lighting consoles.
- Current driver’s licence
- Demonstrable experience in working in an operations or building/facility role within a performing arts environment
- Health and Safety Qualifications
- First aid trained
- A knowledge of and interest in contemporary theatre, music, and live performance.
- An interest in minimising the environmental impact of The Street and working in an environmentally responsible manner
This is a full-time position based at The Street Theatre in Canberra. Due to the nature of theatrical work, evening and weekend work will be required.
HOW TO APPLY
Read the position description here and submit a written application which should include:
- Cover letter indicating suitability for the role (max one page)
- Separate response to the selection criteria (no more than 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae with two references
Address your application for the attention of
Caroline Stacey, Artistic Director/CEO The Street Theatre
and email application by Monday 30th January 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org
To discuss further email email@example.com or call (02) 6247 1519
The Street encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, mature age workers, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds and LGBTIQ+ people.
Casual Technical Staff
The Street Theatre employs multi-skilled casual technicians to assist in the maintenance of equipment and technical support of productions within a diverse program mix across three spaces in 2023.
Please send any expressions of interest with an attached CV to firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest in any future positions.
We offer marketing, production, programming, administration, front of house, box office and development roles. If you’re interested in joining our team, please send any expressions of interest with an attached CV to email@example.com
Check out Take Part for information about opportunities for artists including casting opportunities.
Check out Join In for information about volunteering.
The Street aims to enrich, support and sustain Canberra audiences by providing theatre of the highest quality made here in Canberra. The Street regularly programs original ACT theatre work as well as commissioning and developing original Australian performance works, and presenting a diverse music and comedy program.